Yesterday, I spent the bulk of the day converting a DataList to a ListView. I thought I’d spend a little time relating the process for those of you who might be interested in doing the same.
For the most part, the transition went smoothly.
The first thing I looked at was the structure of the two sets of tags. It was pretty quickly apparent that I was not going to be able to just change the tag name. Not that I expected I could, but it would have been a nice bonus.
What I did notice as I inspected the structure was that both sets have an ItemTemplate tag. So I create a new ListView control pointing at the data I want it to display, and then I moved the itemTemplate tag from the DataList into the new ListView.
Bad move. But, since I’ve already suffered the pain, it won’t be so bad for you. The basic problem stems from the fact that the ListView itemTemplate expects to start and end with a pair of TD tags. In the DataList’s itemTemplate tag, you can put anything you want. So, what you should do is copy the contents of the itemTemplate tag in the DataList into the the ListView’s itemTemplate tag and then put the TD tags around the content you just pasted, and inside the itemTemplate tags.
Not so bad once you figure it out, but if you start this process after a full day of programming, this can be just a bit frustrating.
Other post in ASP.NET
- ASP.NET GridView Edit All Rows At Once - October 30th, 2007
- Validating A WebForms Checkbox . . . - January 4th, 2008
- ListView and the DataPager - January 7th, 2008
- The case of the disappearing session variables - January 14th, 2008
- Storing a DataRow into a Session (server) variable - January 15th, 2008
- The point of a multi layer architecture - January 31st, 2008
- FormView Edit and Add - May 12th, 2008
- Virtual Files using HttpContext.RewritePath() - July 17th, 2008
- ASP.NET AJAX using JSON - Here's how. - August 4th, 2008
- SystemException: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed - November 18th, 2008
- GridViews - Multiple Rows Per Record - December 17th, 2008
- Response.Redirect() executes too soon on the Server. - January 27th, 2009
- Tab Control ActiveTabIndex Lost on Postback - February 25th, 2009
- ASP.NET Application_Error Detecting 404's - March 2nd, 2009
- Infinite 302 Loop - How would you even know? - March 11th, 2009
- Unable to find connection...for object web.config - March 18th, 2009
- Dynamically Change class Attribute From ASP.NET - September 29th, 2009
- HttpContext.Items vs Session - October 12th, 2009
- Access a control by ID From Within a Databound Control - November 2nd, 2009
- GridView and Updating A Row Manually - November 4th, 2009
- Embedding Google Search Appliance Results in ASP.NET - November 5th, 2009
- ASP.NET Cross Domain Form Submission - November 11th, 2009
- ASP.NET Interview Questions For New College Graduates - November 12th, 2009
- ASP.NET Dynamic Validator - November 16th, 2009
- The Google Appliance and Forms Authentication - August 4th, 2010
- Prevent Postback on Buttons - October 11th, 2010
- Azure CDN Blob Storage Case Sensitive Issue - April 17th, 2012
- ASP.NET JSON and ViewState - September 25th, 2012
- Panel DefaultButton does not work - December 25th, 2012
- Why CSS ID selectors are Evil in ASP.NET Web Forms - February 26th, 2013
- Sorting the ListView in ASP.NET - March 5th, 2013
- Multi-Step Processing in ASP.NET - May 8th, 2013
- ASP.NET Web Design Software - May 15th, 2013
- Test Sending Email without a Server in ASP.NET - June 5th, 2013
- Tracking Down Performance Issues in ASP.NET - July 24th, 2013
- Unrecognized Tag Prefix or Device Filter ‘asp’ - July 31st, 2013
- WebServices – Error Handling - December 11th, 2013
- Converting a DataList to a ListView - December 25th, 2013