Joel Spolsky has an article telling us all the Live Mesh is a stupid application doomed for failure and that both Google and Microsoft are idiot companies using their resources in stupid ways.
Architecture astronauts take over – Joel on Software
Well, it might get head lines, Joel, but you are as dead wrong as you can get.
First, while YOU may not see the benefit in Live Mesh, I certainly do. I already have parts of what Live Mesh does cobbled together on my computer. The fact that Live Mesh does this FOR me, is beautiful. Maybe you only work at one computer, but many of us use multiple computers. Use our laptop at coffee shops for example but need to access our desktop at home or at work.
In fact, I can’t wait for my invite (anyone want to invite me?)
Second, how the heck do you expect good applications to appear without attempting what end up to be failures along the way? Failure is the only way to get good apps. Hiring the brightest minds and letting them “Play Foosball”… maybe, just maybe, that’s the best way to come up with the killer app. It seems to be working for Google and it seems to have worked for Microsoft.
Finally, if you have a better way, why not start your own company and do it your way? Telling two of the biggest, successfully organizations on the planet how to run their business is as arrogant as a fat potato couch telling a pro football player how to play football.
Like this Article? Subscribe to get every article sent to your email.
- ASP.NET Web Design Software What if there was a product that would allow you to create your web site themes as easy as you could create a PowerPoint presentation theme? Wouldn’t that be cool?This past weekend I […]
- Ubuntu – Using The Right Tool For The Job My house is officially a three-operating-system house. My wife and daughter switched to Mac a few years ago. I've naturally stuck with Microsoft because that's what pays the bills. And […]
- What’s In My Blogging Toolbox? So as I thought this week about what I might write, I decided to review the various tools that I use to get stuff done. I started this post with the stuff I use to create the blog […]
- Do Programmers even NEED a degree? Well, this post yesterday, really got things going in blog-o-sphere. Shoot! Even Joel Spolsky got involved. I saw another post, but I'm sorry to say, I can't find it right now.The […]
- Some days, technology is more trouble than it’s worth. As I sit down to write this morning, thinking about what I could write that would be valuable to you, the only thing I can think is, “Blah, I have nothing in me.” But why is this? […]
About Dave Bush
Dave Bush is a .NET programmer and Certified ScrumMaster who is passionate about managing risk as it relates to developing software. When he is not writing or speaking about topics related to Application Lifecycle Risk Management (ALRM), he is an example to his peers as he develops web sites in the ASP.NET environment using industry best practices.