Or, at least, it didn’t. Here’s what happened:
Yesterday a client asked me to help track down a problem he was having with setting the default button for a text box.
As you should already know, you can make ASP.NET automatically click a specific button on the page (Button, ImageButton, or LinkButton) by grouping everything in a Panel and setting the DefaultButton property to the ID of the button you want to have automatically clicked.
Of course, in situations like these, you can pull your hair out trying to find the problem. There was nothing obviously wrong with the code. Everything was grouped into a panel. All of the Panels had their DefaultButton properties set to the correct button.
Maybe it’s because it is an ImageButton? No, not only are ImageButtons supported, but creating a quick demo verified that they did in fact work.
But what’s this? When I put the ASCX file into design view, it does not render the panel with more than a 1px high rectangle. That’s odd… wonder why it’s doing that. Let’s try resizing it. Nope. That doesn’t work.
And then I looked closer.
All of the code basically looked something like this:
<tr> <asp:Panel DefaultButton="m_ibKeyIngredient" ID="m_pKeyIngredient" runat="server" Width="370px"> <td valign="top"> <asp:TextBox ID="m_tbKeyIngredient" runat="server" Width="244px"></asp:TextBox> <asp:ImageButton ID="m_ibKeyIngredient" runat="server" OnClick="m_ibKeyIngredient_Click" ImageUrl="images/gobutton.gif" ImageAlign="AbsBottom" /> </td> </asp:Panel> </tr>
If you casually read over this code, you completely miss the fact that the TD elements are INSIDE of the Panel. You see the TR element and the panel and if you aren’t thinking clearly, you think the TR element is the cell when in fact, it is the row. The TD elements that represent the cell are further in and easy to miss.
You need to keep in mind that the Panel renders itself as a DIV and you can’t have a DIV tag inside a TR tag.
It turns out that swapping the Panel tag with the TD element solved the whole problem. Unfortunately, this took us several hours of frustration to figure out.
So, what did we learn?
- If your ASP.NET client side code isn’t working as you’d expect, validate your HTML.
- When working on a problem, if you see another problem that is part of the same code, it is not always inappropriate to take a detour to try to fix that problem. It may in fact fix the problem you are working on. If nothing else, it will give your mind a break.
Other post in ASP.NET
- ASP.NET GridView Edit All Rows At Once - October 30th, 2007
- Validating A WebForms Checkbox . . . - January 4th, 2008
- ListView and the DataPager - January 7th, 2008
- The case of the disappearing session variables - January 14th, 2008
- Storing a DataRow into a Session (server) variable - January 15th, 2008
- The point of a multi layer architecture - January 31st, 2008
- FormView Edit and Add - May 12th, 2008
- Virtual Files using HttpContext.RewritePath() - July 17th, 2008
- ASP.NET AJAX using JSON - Here's how. - August 4th, 2008
- SystemException: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed - November 18th, 2008
- GridViews - Multiple Rows Per Record - December 17th, 2008
- Response.Redirect() executes too soon on the Server. - January 27th, 2009
- Tab Control ActiveTabIndex Lost on Postback - February 25th, 2009
- ASP.NET Application_Error Detecting 404's - March 2nd, 2009
- Infinite 302 Loop - How would you even know? - March 11th, 2009
- Unable to find connection...for object web.config - March 18th, 2009
- Dynamically Change class Attribute From ASP.NET - September 29th, 2009
- HttpContext.Items vs Session - October 12th, 2009
- Access a control by ID From Within a Databound Control - November 2nd, 2009
- GridView and Updating A Row Manually - November 4th, 2009
- Embedding Google Search Appliance Results in ASP.NET - November 5th, 2009
- ASP.NET Cross Domain Form Submission - November 11th, 2009
- ASP.NET Interview Questions For New College Graduates - November 12th, 2009
- ASP.NET Dynamic Validator - November 16th, 2009
- The Google Appliance and Forms Authentication - August 4th, 2010
- Prevent Postback on Buttons - October 11th, 2010
- Azure CDN Blob Storage Case Sensitive Issue - April 17th, 2012
- ASP.NET JSON and ViewState - September 25th, 2012
- Panel DefaultButton does not work - December 25th, 2012
- Why CSS ID selectors are Evil in ASP.NET Web Forms - February 26th, 2013
- Sorting the ListView in ASP.NET - March 5th, 2013
- Multi-Step Processing in ASP.NET - May 8th, 2013
- ASP.NET Web Design Software - May 15th, 2013
- Test Sending Email without a Server in ASP.NET - June 5th, 2013
- Tracking Down Performance Issues in ASP.NET - July 24th, 2013
- Unrecognized Tag Prefix or Device Filter ‘asp’ - July 31st, 2013
- WebServices – Error Handling - December 11th, 2013
- Converting a DataList to a ListView - December 25th, 2013